This photograph, by Francis Frith (1822-1898) & Co, is of the Madras Harbour.
This vista of commercial facilities and warehouses on the Mardas beachfront illustrates Britain’s extensive commerce with the world.
In 1639, a British trading corporation was granted permission to establish a factory on a three-mile-long stretch of the shore on the Coromandel. The Nayakas, feudatory rulers of the region under the Vijayanagara kings, gave it to them in the form of a grant. This land was christened Madraspatnam for its owners, the Madre or Madeiros, a prominent Portuguese family of San Thome.
To learn more, click here.
Periodlate 19th century
PhotographerFrancis Frith & Co
DimensionsH: 16 cm x W: 21 cm