This photograph of La Martiniere, the oldest college in Lucknow, was taken by photographer Felice Beato (1832-1909) in 1858.
General Claude Martine (1735–1800), a Frenchman, constructed La Martinere in 1795. It was intended to be a country home and was given the original name Constantia. The place was later converted into a college and served as a significant landmark during the Uprising of 1857. The institute had 268 students in March 1857. However, when the Uprising intensified by May, the population was reduced to roughly 100 people who lived on the property and a few Christian day scholars.
To know more, click here.
DimensionsH: 20.7 cm x W: 30.3 cm