This is a photograph of the Nakki talao, Mount Abu, from James Burgess’ book ‘Photographs of Architecture and Scenery in Gujarat and Rajputana’ taken by Colin Murray in 1872. The hill station of Mount Abu is an important place of worship for Jain pilgrimages. It is a popular tourist attaraction, renowned for the group of temples at Dilwara which represent some of the finest examples of western Indian style of architecture. At the centre of Mount Abu is the Nakki Talao. Legend has it that it was scooped out by a god using only his nails or nakh, giving it its present name. This is a view looking out across the lake towards distant hills and mountains.
TitleMount Abu; View of the Nukhi Talao (now Nakki Talav)
PhotographerBook: 'Photographs of Architecture and Scenery in Gujarat and Rajputana' Studio: Bourne and Shepherd (taken by Colin Murray).
MediumAlbumen print (on card mount)
Dimensions23.4 cm x 28.8 cm