This photograph of the British Residency in Hyderabad is attributed to Lala Deen Dayal (1844-1905).
The British Residency, located on the banks of the Musi river, was built between 1803–1806 as a Palladian palace by Samuel Russell of Madras Engineers. It served as the official residence of the British officers appointed as the Resident at the Nizam’s court.
In most of the history of the British Empire in the subcontinent, a single British Resident or Political Agent gained control over a region or a state by providing “counsel” to the prince or chief.
To read more, click here.
TitleResidency at Chaderghat, Hyderabad
Photographerattributed to Lala Deen Dayal
DimensionsH: 18.9 cm x W: 28.3 cm