This picture shows the Shyam Rai Temple, regarded as a structural beauty amongst the Bishnupur Temple Complex in West Bengal.
It was built during the reign of Raghunath Singha (1626 – 1656), a Malla King who is recognised to be a patron of art and architecture. The temple is a pancharatha temple with one main shikhara, spire, joined by four subsidiary shikharas on all four sides. The temple is decorated with around 5000 tiles and intricate terracotta work. The sanctum sanctorum, inner sanctuary, houses several plaques with the names of the artisans inscribed on it.
To read more about temples of India, click here.
TitleShyam Rai Temple, Bishnupur
Periodlate 19th century - early 20th century
DimensionsH: 15 cm x W: 19 cm