This is a photograph of the bull pavilion at the Brihadeshwara Temple in Tanjore, taken by Samuel Bourne in 1869. The pavilion stands to the east of the main temple shrine housing the 13 feet high monotlithic structure of Nandi – the white bull associated with Shiva (to whom the temple is dedicated).
TitleThanjavur; Sculpture of the Great Stone Bull
MediumAlbumen print (on card mount)
Dimensions19.0 cm x 31.6 cm